Do you need any specific documents to drive into Mexico?

I want to go to Mexico, but are there any requirements to cross the border? I want to drive my car across.

“If you’re planning on driving across the border into Mexico, Mexican border and customs agents will may ask for:
  • Proof of Mexican tourist car insurance, which may be through your US insurance carrier.
  • Valid vehicle registration
  • Valid U.S. passport or passport card
  • A Mexico Tourist Card/Entry Permit (FMM) if you plan on driving further than 12 miles into Mexico from the border
  • A Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit (TVIP)
Keep in mind that you should have these documents, but not every border agent will ask for them. In this regard, it’s better to err on the side of caution.
Since you’re getting coverage in Mexico, it’s a great time to review your domestic U.S. car insurance policy and compare prices. Use the Jerry app to find the best rates from over 50 insurers.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Aug 16, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.