Can you drive in the US with an international license?

I have a license from France. Will it be valid in the US?

“In most states, you can drive legally with an international license if the information on the license is written in English.
If the license is not in English, you’ll need to obtain an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) from your home country, which will allow you drive legally and rent a car in the US.
If you plan to rent a car in the US or drive someone else’s car, you may want to consider purchasing car insurance, which you will be able to with an IDP.
Even though rental car companies and your friends likely have their own insurance, it’s always a good idea to have your own coverage for extra protection. Shopping for insurance can mean navigating a lot of legal jargon, but Jerry is here to help. Jerry does all the hard work of comparison shopping and helping with the signup paperwork so you can get on the road hassle free.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 11, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free