Can I get temporary insurance to move my car to another state?

I have been moving around a lot for work and finally have a more permanent location. Because of all this moving, I now have a car at my parents' house in NM, registered in UT, and I live in AZ. Can I get temporary insurance to drive the car to AZ?

Apr 26, 2021
Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered at Apr 26, 2021
“If it is your intent to continue driving the vehicle after you get it to Arizona, then you will not need a separate temporary insurance policy just to move the vehicle.
You can insure the vehicle, letting your company know where the car is currently and that you are moving it to your permanent location. They will walk you through the process so that you can get the car moved and re-registered in Arizona.
If you are moving the car but do not intend to register or drive it in Arizona, you may have a more difficult time. Reputable insurance companies generally do not write a policy term shorter than six months, so you would need to insure the vehicle to move it and then cancel the policy or convert it to a storage policy.”
Car Insurance

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies