What is an exhaust manifold gasket replacement?
In this service, a mechanic will check to see if your exhaust manifold gasket is defective and, if so, replace it.
The exhaust manifold gasket connects the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head surface, which prevents exhaust leaks in the system. The constant expansion and contraction of the components due to heat exposure can cause leaks over time.
How to replace your exhaust manifold gasket
When replacing an exhaust manifold gasket, a mechanic will normally complete the following steps:
- Inspect the exhaust system for leaks
- Determine whether the manifold or flange gasket is leaking
- Remove and replace the faulty gasket
- Apply anti-seize to the bolt threads
- Install a new, working exhaust manifold gasket
- Start the car and check for any possible leaks
There’s a chance your exhaust manifold has started leaking because of a broken mounting bolt. Removing this might require more labor and additional fees.
How do I know if I need to get an exhaust manifold gasket replacement?
There are a few telltale signs that your exhaust manifold gasket needs replacing:
- Loud noises from your engine
- Decreasing engine performance
- The check engine light is on
- Smells from the engine compartment, such as the scent of melting plastic
How important is replacing my exhaust manifold gasket?
Beyond a costly issue, a leaking exhaust manifold gasket is hazardous to the driver’s health and safety. Hot exhaust gases from the engine can become a fire hazard if they melt the plastic components in neighboring engine compartments.
A leaking exhaust manifold gasket can also harm the engine’s overall performance.
Tips for an exhaust manifold gasket replacement
There is no real way to prevent a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. This part sits in a high-temperature zone, meaning it will eventually morph and allow leaks.
Ensure your mechanic is putting anti-seize compound on the bolts when performing the replacement. The bolts in the cylinder head will be less likely to break as a result of this.