Can gap insurance cover my car if it is damaged during shipping?

I am shipping my 2003 Ford Focus from Portland, OR to Chicago, IL. The shipping company is offering me gap insurance. Is this something I need, and will it protect my vehicle during shipment?

Gap insurance normally provides coverage for a total loss when you owe more on your loan than the actual cash value of your vehicle. If your car isn’t financed or you don’t owe more on your loan then the car is worth, gap insurance won’t be helpful to you.
If your vehicle has full coverage, your car insurance should cover any damages that may occur during shipping. Full coverage means you have both comprehensive coverage and collision coverage on your vehicle.
You can reach out to your current car insurance carrier to find out what is covered in your policy. The shipping company should fill out a report noting any damages that exist on the vehicle.
Before shipping, you should also take photos of your vehicle as proof. After shipping, be sure to inspect your vehicle for damage.
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store