Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
- What is classic car insurance?
- Delaware classic car insurance
- What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in Delaware?
- Benefits of classic car insurance
- Do I need classic car insurance?
- Coverage options for classic car insurance
- Finding cheap car insurance for your classic car
Load full table of contents
In Delaware, classic cars must be registered with an Antique vehicle plate and protected with 25/50/10 liability insurance minimums and personal injury protection.
Insurance for classic cars is different from the average model you use for commuting to work every day. Your classic car needs specialty care and coverage: after all, you won’t be driving it as often, replacement parts can be harder to find, and it’s probably worth more than a typical economy vehicle today.
If you’re in the market for an affordable classic car insurance policy, Jerry can help. After providing you with a comprehensive cross-analysis of the best policies across providers, Jerry can help you cancel your old policy and register for a new one. No long forms or awkward phone calls required!
Jerry has compiled everything you need to know about Delaware classic car insurance.
What is classic car insurance?
Classic car insurance offers many of the same coverages as a regular auto insurance policy, but tailored to the needs of classic or antique cars.
Most insurance providers have dedicated classic car insurance policies for sale.
What is a classic or antique car?
Insurers typically group old vehicles into two groups for insurance purposes:
- A classic car is a vehicle that’s 10 to 24 years old and has historic interest (e.g., a hot rod or muscle car)
- An antique car is a car that’s 25+ years old and has historic interest. Any classic car that ages over 25 years becomes an antique car.
What makes classic car insurance different?
Typically, classic car insurance is cheaper than regular auto insurance. This is partially because classic car insurance policies include a limited use/mileage cap, which limits you to using the vehicle for infrequent pleasure driving, shows, parades, clubs, and other exhibitions.
To qualify, you must also keep your classic car securely stored indoors and restored to and preserved in its original condition (or at least undergoing restoration).
Since each classic car is unique, you will have more customization options for things like parts replacement. This uniqueness also means that there is no set “book value” for specific makes and models. You’ll likely negotiate an agreed-upon value of the car with your insurer before finalizing the policy.
MORE: Classic car coverage
Delaware classic car insurance
Delaware’s provisions for classic cars are laid out in the Antique Vehicle Law and Division Procedures document.
According to the law, any car, truck, or motorcycle produced more than 25 years ago and conforming to original manufacturer standards is an “antique vehicle” and eligible for an antique license plate. To receive an antique license plate, submit an application to the DMV and you can receive the plate for $25.
- You must present the car title at the time of application. The Antique title fee is $35
- Your vehicle must pass an initial inspection and an official DMV inspection within 90 days
- Your antique vehicle status will be revoked if you do not limit use of the vehicle to participation in parades, exhibits, club activities, etc.
- You will need to renew your Antique vehicle every two years and will receive prompts from the DMV.
In Delaware, the minimum required coverage for a classic car is as follows:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $10,000 in property damage liability per accident
- $15,000 in personal injury protection per person
- $30,000 in personal injury protection per accident
You can add collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to your policy.
If you fail to purchase these minimums, you will be subject to a fine of $1500+ ($3000 for subsequent offenses) and face license suspension for six months.
What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in Delaware?
Classic car insurance is usually less expensive than a regular auto insurance policy, but the exact coverage you choose can increase your rates.
Other factors that can impact your classic car insurance rate include:
- Model year
- Stated or guaranteed value
- Customization—if you include things like flatbed towing, roadside assistance, spare parts coverage, etc.
- Your driving record
Benefits of classic car insurance
Your antique vehicle is special—perhaps it’s been passed down to you from a grandparent or was an extremely rare find. Regular car insurance is not sufficient to protect such a car against damage or loss.
If your classic car’s value exceeds the original selling price (making it a “collectible”), you may be eligible for specialized classic car insurance.
Here are some of the benefits of getting classic car insurance:
- Rates 40% to 70% lower than standard car insurance
- Higher coverage limits (often up to $500,000)
- Flexible annual mileage limits
- Claims handling from fellow car enthusiasts
- Flexible deductible options
- Guaranteed or agreed value coverage
- Optional coverage for spare parts and memorabilia
- Roadside assistance using only flatbed tow trucks
- Discounts for additional security features (like alarms, VIN etching, and GPS tracking)
- Potential discounts on approved collector car club memberships
Do I need classic car insurance?
If you have any of the following, you likely need specialty coverage:
- Antique & classic cars
- Vintage boats
- Modern collector vehicles
- Modified vehicles
- Classic trucks and utility vehicles
- Motorsports vehicles
- Vintage motorcycles and scooters
- Retired commercial vehicles
- Collector trailers
- Vehicles under construction
- Classic military vehicles
- Antique tractors
Coverage options for classic car insurance
As mentioned above, you can customize your classic car insurance with multiple coverage options. The coverage you choose will depend on the type of car you have and what you think is necessary to protect it fully.
Here are some common coverages for classic cars:
|Comprehensive||Covers damage that isn’t the result of a collision, such as from severe weather or vandalism.|
|Collision||Covers damages resulting from a collision with another vehicle or stationary object.|
|Uninsured/underinsured motorist||Covers damages if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have auto insurance.|
|Agreed value coverage||If you’re in a covered accident and your classic car is a total loss, you’ll receive the full agreed-upon value (minus your deductible) without any deduction for depreciation.|
|Flexible mileage||Tired mileage plans give you flexibility to customize your policy based on how much you actually drive your classic car.|
|Roadside assistance||Coverage for tire changes, towing, and other incidental expenses that aren’t part of a typical auto insurance policy.|
|Spare parts||Add coverage for loss or damages to classic spare parts—even ones that are expensive or hard to find.|
Finding cheap car insurance for your classic car
Getting special insurance for your antique vehicle in Delaware may seem like extra work—not if you use Jerry! As a licensed insurance broker and comparison shopping expert, Jerry presents you with dozens of competitive quotes from top providers.
Jerry’s service is quick and thorough. Sign-up takes less than a minute, and from beginning to end, you could find and register for a new classic car insurance policy in the time it takes to walk your dog!
If you have any questions during the process, Jerry’s team of caring and knowledgeable agents are always available to talk.
“Jerry makes insurance buying as easy as possible! It was my first time buying and I did almost everything in the app. Even talking to John on the phone was easy.” —Sai E.