What should I do if roadside assistance damaged my car?

"My car broke down, so my insurance company sent out roadside assistance.

When I got to the repair shop, my car had some new dings and scrapes.

I took pictures and got an estimate for the damage. What should I do now?"

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on Jun 21, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“If you have full-coverage car insurance, just file a claim with your insurance company and let them sort it out. Because the roadside assistance company is one they work with, they should have all the information they need to get the claim approved.
If you only have liability coverage, the situation is a bit trickier. In this case, contact your insurance company to tell them what happened. In addition, you should contact the roadside assistance company and see what their side of the story is. Unfortunately, if they deny it, you might have to take them to small claims court or threaten to do so to get the situation sorted.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies