What should I do if my car was hit by an uninsured driver?

My car was totaled in an accident with an uninsured driver. I only had liability coverage at the time and was partially at fault. I called after the accident to get higher coverage applied to my vehicle, but my insurance is denying the claim. I still owe $7,000 on my loan. What now?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 30, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“By trying to add additional insurance coverage to your policy after an accident, you were committing insurance fraud. You could have faced serious fines or even jail time.
While it’s extremely unfortunate that your car was totaled in the accident, there’s not much that can be done now for your vehicle.
Having the proper coverage on your vehicle is essential to protecting yourself and your vehicle in the event of an accident. Your insurance will exhaust your bodily injury liability and property damage liability to cover the other driver’s damages and/or injuries.
Normally, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage or collision coverage would have covered the damage on your vehicle.
Since you still owe money on your loan, you may be able to repair your vehicle and sell it or continue driving it until it’s paid off. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies