What is the underside of a car called?

My brother-in-law says the underside of a car is called the chassis, but I think it’s called the undercarriage. What is the underside of a car called?

Rachel Rigolino · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
The underside of a car is commonly called the undercarriage. This goes back to the days of the horse and carriage.
Your brother-in-law is correct in that the chassis, which is the vehicle’s frame, is located underneath a car. However, technically speaking, the undercarriage contains the chassis. To give him credit, people often use the terms chassis and undercarriage interchangeably.
Car terminology—-such as undercarriage and chassis—can be confusing. One topic that seems to confuse even the most knowledgeable car owners is
car insurance
It’s time to let
do all the hard work of comparison shopping for you! Enter your information once, and the
licensed insurance broker
will find the best deals available and do all the hard work for you to get you signed up.
On average, Jerry users save over $800 a year on car insurance payments.
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings