What happens if I'm injured in a car accident and can't afford my health insurance deductible?

What should I do if I can't afford my deductible? I have a high deductible health insurance plan. I'm worried if I get into an accident, I won't be able to afford my health care.

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 06, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“If you have a high health insurance deductible, you should look into medical payment coverage or personal injury protection with your car insurance.
Medical payments coverage and personal injury protection help cover your medical costs if you’re injured in an accident.
This coverage kicks in regardless of fault and often can work towards your health insurance deductible or copay. If you’re not at fault in an accident, it can provide you immediate coverage for your injuries.
It is also helpful to have in case a driver is uninsured or underinsured. Most drivers carry bodily injury liability, which would cover your injuries if you’re not at fault, but your medical bills could exceed that limit. Your medical payments coverage would help cover the costs.
Since most health insurance requires auto insurance to cover accidents first, you would benefit from extra coverage.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies