What are my options if I have a child away at college and want to save money on car insurance?

My child is in college across the county and will only be home for the holidays. We will sell her car, but the insurance agent said that I could only exclude her from my policy or keep her as a full-time driver. Is there an option where she can drive my cars when she comes to town occasionally?

“Having a younger driver on a car insurance policy can be expensive and sometimes, there are limited options.
If your child gets excluded from your policy, this would mean she is not covered to drive your vehicles at any time, and it sounds like this is not a good option for you.
You may be able to take advantage of a possible “”student away”” price reduction once her car is sold and removed from the policy. On an insurance policy, each person is assigned to a vehicle; if there are equal cars to drivers, it is assumed that all the cars will be driven equally.
Once her car is sold and there are fewer cars than people, she could be listed as an occasional operator or away at school and you should see a big price drop then.
If not, it may be time to shop for a cheaper car insurance quotes online. There are carriers like GEICO that offer these types of benefits to parents. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 29, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies