If I'm leaving for six months, do I need to fill out a planned non-operation form or affidavit of non-use?

"I'm going to Japan for six months and I want to leave my car in California. I've already canceled my insurance. What forms do I need to fill out to cancel my registration?"

“You should fill out both forms. Planned non-operation filing means your vehicle will not be driven, towed, stored, or parked on public roads. The affidavit of non-use confirms that a currently registered vehicle is not being registered or parked on a California roadway and that you’ve canceled your liability coverage to avoid registration suspension.
Keep in mind these forms apply to the entire registration year, so if you return before the year is over and plan to operate your vehicle again, you’ll need to remove the forms and reinstate your insurance in order legally drive.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies