How to shop for a new car insurance?
What's the best way to shop for new car insurance? I think I've had enough of my provider and I'm looking to make a change.
Shopping for new car insurance can be a long process, but staying organized and directed can make the process much easier. Follow these five steps to find the insurance you want at the best price:
- Collect your information. To give you an accurate quote, most providers will need your personal, car, and insurance information, along with your driving history. Keep it accessible and on-hand—you’ll need it!
- Choose your coverage. Knowing how much insurance you want can help you get accurate quotes faster. Be sure to read up on your state insurance requirements before deciding.
- Pick a shopping method. You can find all the information you want online, but you won’t have any guidance. Agents can be helpful but sometimes get paid commission for sold policies (so they might not have your best interests at heart). Brokers are less biased, but they’ll also cost you extra.
- Compare providers. Once you get your quotes, compare the companies. Make sure their policies align with your values and their quote aligns with your budget.
- Buy your policy and cancel your old one. You should only cancel your old policy after you buy your new one. Lapses in coverage can actually lead to higher premiums!
Following these steps will help you make sure you get a policy that fits your needs. But if it sounds like too much work, you can always use Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app will help you find and compare personalized quotes for free.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
What should I do to pay off my car loan faster?
What’s the best way to pay off my car loan fast? I want to pay off my car loan more quickly, but I'm not sure where to start. What are some tips or hacks?
Dec 10, 2021
What's the maximum amount that lenders will give on a car loan?
I want to buy a brand new electric Hummer, but the price is over six figures. Is there a maximum amount that a lender will give for a car loan?
Dec 10, 2021
How do I calculate my car insurance?
Is there any way to calculate your car insurance? My premium went up and it doesn't seem right. I want to calculate what it should be on my own. I want to make sure I'm not getting cheated.
Dec 10, 2021