How does it work when your deductible is higher than the cost to fix the damage?

I have a $2,000 collision deductible and was involved in an accident where I was not at fault. The cost to fix my car is $1,750. Who pays for that?

“In this situation, the at-fault party is responsible for paying to have your car repaired, regardless of your deductible. Their property damage liability covers this.
If the other driver is at fault but is uninsured, you would be covered by either your collision insurance or uninsured motorist property damage coverage. Then you or your carrier would be reimbursed through a legal action taken by your carrier called subrogation. Subrogation involves suing the at-fault party for any lost funds. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 14, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies