How do you store a car long term?
What’s the best way to store a car for several months? I've got a classic car and I think I'll need to store it for the winter.
If you’re going to store a car long term, you should make sure everything’s topped off and in good shape.
Here are some specific steps you should take before putting your car in long-term storage:
- Fill up the gas tank. Low gas levels can lead to a build up of moisture and rust in the tank.
- Change the oil. If it sits for too long, it might end up damaging some engine components.
- Protect your cylinders. Spray some oil into your cylinders to stop them from rusting.
- Clean the interior. Bits of food or debris can make your car musty or even moldy over time.
- Clean the exterior. Trapped particles from the outside world can collect moisture and eventually damage your paint job.
- Use a cover. Make sure to get a breathable cover for your car. Tarps and other thick covers can trap moisture against the body and cause superficial damage to the exterior.
Lastly, if you’re planning on storing the car for an extended period of time, you should consider pausing your car insurance policy. Insurance can be costly, especially for nicer cars. If you don’t plan on driving your vehicle for a while, managing your policy accordingly could be an easy way to save money.
If you want to save even more, try using Jerry to explore your car insurance options. A licensed broker, the Jerry app helps you find and compare competitive quotes from top insurance brands in minutes. All you need to do is pick the coverage you like, and Jerry will handle the rest. We’ll help you buy a new plan and even cancel your old policy!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you take a car door off?
What’s the easiest way to remove a car door? My car was in an accident and my uncle wants to buy me new car doors from a junkyard. I'm a little nervous to replace them by myself.
Oct 26, 2021
How do you take someone off your car insurance?
How do you remove someone from your car insurance? My daughter went off to college, and it's too expensive to keep her on our policy when she isn't even driving.
Oct 26, 2021
How do you take a cat on a long car trip?
How do you travel long distances with a cat? I want take a big road trip around the U.S., but I don't know what to do with my cat.
Oct 26, 2021