How do you reset the BMW brake fluid service light?
Is there an easy way to reset the BMW brake fluid service light? I know I should probably just fill the brake fluid, but I don't have extra money to spend right now. Plus, the light's driving me crazy!
Maintaining your car can be expensive, but it’s vital for your safety. Service lights usually turn on for a reason, and brake fluid impacts your ability to stop. Before you reset the brake fluid service light in your BMW, make sure your brake fluid is topped off. If the light still won’t turn off, you can follow these steps to reset the light:
- Step 1: Turn on the ignition without starting the car. If your car uses a manual key, turn it two clicks in the ignition. If you have a push-to-start model, press the START button without using the brake.
- Step 2: Press and hold the odometer reset button—which is located on the instrument cluster.
- Step 3: Keep holding the button until you see the oil symbol or the microfilter symbol. This should give you access to the service menu.
- Step 4: Tap the reset button until the brake fluid warning symbol appears.
- Step 5: Press and hold the odometer reset button for about five seconds, or until the Reset? prompt appears.
- Step 6: Release the button, then press it again for another five seconds. After those last five seconds, your light should reset!
If you’re hesitant to pay for a brake fluid refill, offset the price by saving on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, Jerry can help you find and compare quotes from over 50 top insurance providers for free. When you find a better rate, Jerry will help you buy your new plan and even help cancel your old policy!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you find the VIN number on a BMW?
Is there a good way to find the VIN number on a BMW? I'm filling out a bunch of car-related paperwork, and I need the VIN. Unfortunately, I don't know where to find it.
Oct 28, 2021
How much does it cost to replace a Toyota Prius battery?
Does it cost a lot to replace a Toyota Prius battery? I'm leasing a Prius, and it really needs a new battery. But I read that it's pretty expensive to replace and I'm worried I won't be able to afford it.
Oct 28, 2021
How do you buy a Toyota?
What's the best way to buy a Toyota? My friend said I could buy one online. I don't know how to do it, but I'd love to do it from home if I can.
Oct 28, 2021