How do you program a Jeep’s garage door opener?
I just moved to a new house, but my Jeep’s garage door opener is still programmed for my old house. How can I program my new garage door opener for my Jeep?
Answer provided by
I hope your move went smoothly and you’re getting settled!
When it comes to programing your Jeep’s garage door opener, you’ll be working with the car’ HomeLinkⓇ system. Essentially, this is the system that allows you to connect your vehicle to three separate garage doors or gates. When it comes to programming this system, the steps are simple to follow.
Before getting started, look for your car’s HomeLinkⓇ buttons—these will be on the overhead console or on the driverside sun visor. You’re looking for three buttons labeled with one, two, or three dots.
Here’s what you need to do to program your Jeep’s HomeLinkⓇ system:
- If you bought a used car, start by clearing pre-existing programs from the HomeLinkⓇ system. Do this by holding down on the first and third HomeLinkⓇ buttons at the same time. Keep pressing the buttons down for ten seconds.
- Figure out the type of garage door opener your house has. To do this, walk into your garage and look for the learn or train button on the garage door opener. If the opener has this button, you’re working with a roller code garage door opener—this type will require some additional steps when programming your HomeLinkⓇ system. If you can’t find either a learn or train button, then you have a non-roller code opener. Once you go through the main programming process, you’ll be done!
- Go back to your car and get in the driver’s seat. Put the ignition into On/Run but make sure you don’t start the engine.
- Hold your handheld garage door opener one to three inches away from the HomeLinkⓇ system. As you do this, simultaneously hold down the HomeLinkⓇ button you want to program and the button on your handheld opener. Keep pressing down on these buttons until the HomeLinkⓇ indicator light starts to flash. This light will start flashing slowly at first, then quickly.
- Release the buttons when the indicator light starts flashing rapidly.
- Test whether you’ve successfully programmed your garage door opener by holding down on the HomeLinkⓇ button—if the indicator light to see if it stays on continuously as you press down on the button, then you’ve successfully programmed your Jeep’s garage door opener.
- At this point, you’ve completed the process if you have a non-rolling code garage door opener!
If you have a rolling code garage door opener, you’ll need to follow some additional steps:
- Get out of your car and walk over to your garage’s door opener. Once again, find the “learn” or “train” button. Firmly push and release this button once.
- Now, you’ll need to move quickly or have someone help you with this next step. After pushing the “learn” or “train” button, you or your friend will have 30 seconds to return to your car and push the HomeLinkⓇ button you’re programming. Push this button twice, holding it down for two seconds each time.
- If your garage door opens or closes after pushing the button twice, you’re done! If not, hold down on the HomeLinkⓇ button for two seconds a third time. Now, your rolling code garage door should be fully programmed to your Jeep!
While you’re making sure your garage door opener is working, it’s a good idea to make sure your [car insurance](https://getjerry.com/car-insurance] is in working order as well.
A licensed broker, Jerry, the super app, does all the hard work of finding cheap quotes from the top name-brand insurance companies and buying new car insurance. Most Jerry users save $887 per year on average!
MORE: Is the Jerry app legit?
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How reliable is a Lamborghini Huracan?
I love supercars, and I’m looking to get a Lamborghini Huracan. Before I jump into getting the car, I wanted to do more research. I’m prepared for the cost but is the Lamborghini Huracan reliable?
Apr 22, 2022
What’s the best place to buy a car battery?
My car battery isn’t holding a charge very well anymore. What’s the best place to buy a car battery?
Apr 22, 2022
How reliable is a Honda Ridgeline?
How many miles will a Honda Ridgeline last? I’ve been considering buying one for my next vehicle but I’ve heard mixed reviews from different people about how reliable it is.
Apr 22, 2022