How do I change car insurance ownership?

I am moving to France and plan to gift my GMC truck to my little bro. How do I change the ownership of my car insurance?

How generous of you! Unfortunately, you cannot transfer car insurance to another person. You can either add your brother as an additional driver on your policy or have him set up a new policy in his name.
To transfer ownership of the car to your brother, you will need to sign the title over to him. Check your state’s laws, but you will probably need to provide your state’s DMV with:
  • The car’s title
  • Your brother’s proof of insurance
  • The car’s registration
  • A title transfer fee
You can easily help your brother find an affordable insurance policy by having him use Jerry, the free insurance broker app. Jerry compares dozens of competitive quotes and can help your brother sign up for a new policy in minutes!
georgina grant
Answered on Nov 08, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free