How can you restore car seats?
My mom is giving my son her old Cadillac for his birthday. The car is mechanically sound, but the leather seats have seen better days. How can I restore the car seats?
That’s very kind of your mother, and I’m sure your son will be overjoyed!
To restore the leather car seats, you will need:
- Leather conditioner
- Leather recoloring product (if necessary)
- Microfiber cloths
Once you have your materials:
- Vacuum the seats to remove all loose debris.
- Wipe down the seats using a damp microfiber cloth, dry, and let rest.
- Apply leather conditioner starting with a small hidden area to test for discoloration.
- Avoid applying to creases and crevices and use the included toner if necessary.
- Apply diluted conditioner to the cracks and crevices using a product to water ratio of seven to three.
- Let dry in the open air and repeat if necessary.
If the seats are faded or you’d just like a fresh look, you can recolor the seats. To recolor the seats:
- Make sure the seats are dry of the conditioner.
- Test the recoloring product on a small hidden section to ensure you like the color.
- Apply the recoloring product using one to three coats, allowing each to dry completely before reapplying.
- Dilute the recoloring product using a four to one product to water ratio and apply a final coat.
- Let dry overnight.
After following the above instructions, the seats should be restored and ready for their new owner! Before your son is gifted the car, you should make sure he has car insurance. To collect quotes from 50+ top insurance companies, like Travelers, Nationwide, and Progressive, in seconds, use the Jerry app. A licensed broker that offers end-to-end support, the Jerry app gathers affordable quotes, helps you switch plans, and will even help you cancel your old policy.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How does a radiator work in a car?
My car is in the shop right now getting the radiator replaced. I’m curious, how does a car radiator work?
Nov 24, 2021
How can I replace a car door handle?
While I was getting out of my car the other day, I accidentally snapped the interior handle. Ironically, it happened while I was headed to the gym, and a few people in the parking lot got to watch me try and climb over my center console and passenger seat. So, how can I replace a car door handle?
Nov 24, 2021
How do you turn on a Pioneer car radio?
What do I need to do to turn on my Pioneer car radio? I can’t find the right button anywhere. All I’ve been able to do so far is turn on a very loud static.
Nov 29, 2021