How can you lower your car suspension?
How do you lower your car suspension? I want to make it look a little sleeker, but it seems like a big project.
While lowering your car suspension is a big project, there is an easy way to do it.
The easiest way to lower your suspension is with a universal lowering kit. However, the process itself is fairly intense, and you’ll need to be careful. If you still want to do it yourself, use these steps to lower your suspension:
- Step 1: Gather your materials. You’ll need a set of basic hand tools, jacks and jack stands, a universal lowering block kit, and tire chocks.
- Step 2: Raise the car. Use the Jack to lift your car and place a jack stand near where you’ll be working. Don’t forget to put a tire chock under a tire on the opposite side of the vehicle.
- Step 3: Loosen the U-bolts and raise the axel. Use your hand tools to loosen the U-bolts and lift the axle with another jack. Insert the block from your lowering kit under the axel and above the leaf springs.
- Step 4: Replace the old U-bolts with your new ones. The kit should contain longer U-bolts to help keep the axel block in place. Replace your old bolts with the new ones and tighten them until everything feels secure.
- Step 5: Repeat the process on the opposite side and the other axel. If you do it correctly, your suspension should now be lower!
If you aren’t confident doing it yourself hire a professional to lower the suspension for you. Incorrect installation could lead to mechanical issues on the road—resulting in collisions or breakdowns.
Remember, modifying your car can cause your insurance rate to go up. To ensure your premium stays as low as possible, try exploring your car insurance options with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app helps users gather and compare quotes from top insurance providers for free. When you find the coverage you want, Jerry can even help buy your new plan and cancel your old policy!
MORE: How to modify a car
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How to afford car insurance at 17?
Is there an easy way to afford car insurance at 17? It's really expensive, but my parents said they'd buy me a car if I get the insurance.
Oct 26, 2021
How to prolong a car battery's life?
How can I prolong my car battery's life? My batteries keep dying for some reason. I want to make sure this one stays alive for as long as possible.
Oct 26, 2021
How do you prevent rats from getting to your car engine?
How can I prevent rats from getting into my car engine? I've had rats crawl into my engine and make a nest on two different occasions!
Oct 26, 2021