How can I reset my BMW brake service light?
I recently got the brakes on my BMW fixed after seeing the warning light on. Now, almost a week later, the light is still there. How do you turn off the brake service light on a BMW?
Typically, mechanics must manually reset service indicator lights after working on a vehicle. It is not uncommon for this to be left undone.
Luckily, you can easily reset a BMW brake service light by following these easy steps:
- Put your car in accessory mode by turning the key once in the ignition or pressing the START button without pressing the brake pedal.
- Hold down the ODO button for five seconds and you should see a yellow triangle appear.
- Press this button a few more times until you see the symbol for front or rear brakes.
- Select the brakes you want to reset, then hold the ODO reset until you see the word RESET.
- Now release the button and hold it down again until the brake light disappears.
- The numbered miles should reset and show dashes instead, meaning you’re all set.
Now that you have turned off your brake service light, it’s important to take note if it pops up again. If it does, you will need to take your car in to be properly diagnosed and have the underlying issue repaired.
Make room in your budget for regular car maintenance by saving money on your car insurance with Jerry. Jerry is an insurance comparison app that shops for low prices with over 50 different insurance companies for free.
You will get quotes in seconds, can make changes at any time, and if you ever have any questions, agents are just a text away. The average Jerry user saves $887 a year on car insurance.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How can I remove my BMW battery?
I’ve been needing a new battery for a while now, and I finally found a friend who will install one for me for free. The only thing is they want me to remove the old battery beforehand. How do you take out a BMW battery?
Jan 13, 2022
How do I find my BMW radio code?
My BMW radio needs to be reset. In order to do that, I need the radio code. I already understand how to enter it, but I can’t figure out how to get the code. Where can I find my BMW’s radio code?
Jan 13, 2022
How do you reset the brake light on a BMW?
I had the brakes on my BMW serviced just a couple of days ago. I think the mechanic must have forgotten to reset the light because my brakes work like a dream but the service light hasn’t gone away. What can I do to reset the brake service light on my BMW?
Jan 13, 2022