Does home insurance cover damage to property caused by movers?

"I've hired a mover to transport my belongings when I relocate from Northern California to the Bay Area. My new house is already insured. If there's any damage to my property while it's being handled by the mover, will it be covered by my home insurance?


“Homeowners insurance will cover your personal property while it’s in transit, but it will not cover your personal property if it’s damaged while the movers are handling it. Most moving companies offer an inexpensive insurance option that can be purchased directly through them to help cover such damage.
You would also have the right to ask that the moving company replace any damaged items for you, unless you sign a waiver stating that they are not responsible for any damage during the move. “
Alexah Grinnell
Answered on Apr 14, 2021
Alexah Grinnell has been working in the insurance industry for 5 years with a primary focus of coverage consulting in the sales department. She has been working for Jerry Insurance since July of 2019 and has also has experience working for AAA and State Farm. She currently lives in Rochester, NY with her husband and 3 kids

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free