Do you need a front license plate in Hawaii?

I’m planning on moving to Hawaii in the next few months. Currently, I’m creating a checklist of things I need to do before I hop over to the islands. Do I need to get a front license plate if I get a car loan for a new ride?

Eric Schad · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Congrats on your upcoming move! If you plan on getting a
car loan in Hawaii
, you will certainly need to register your car and get plates—according to Hawaii Revised Statute §249-7, you need a front and a rear license plate on any car registered in the state.
Keep in mind that the state gives you 30 days to get a driver’s license after you move and 30 days to register any out-of-state cars before you face a fine, so act swiftly. If you’re unsure how to register your car and get the plates, most dealers will do it for you—or, you can undertake the process yourself by filling out the appropriate forms and paying a fee depending on where you’re moving in Hawaii.
If you need to save money for your move to Hawaii, let
help you save on car insurance costs today. Download the app, compare quotes, and find the best rate for your car insurance needs. You might be surprised just how much you save!
Jerry is a
trustworthy super app
and insurance comparison tool that collects quotes from over 55 top-rated insurers in just 45 seconds. After you find a great rate, Jerry can help you buy new insurance and cancel your old policy. Users save an average of $800+ per year.
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Browse By Topics

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free