Do I need special auto insurance if I modify my car?

I just had some work done on my car. I tinted the windows and changed the muffler. Do I need to report these changes to my car insurance company?

“Modifying your car is a great way to update or customize it without having to purchase a brand new car. That said, you’ll want to report these changes to your car insurance company.
Vehicle modifications, as well as aftermarket parts, are commonly excluded from standard policies. You may need supplemental coverage specifically for aftermarket parts or modifications. Typically, this will be through custom parts coverage. The amount can vary depending on your car’s modifications but often is between $1,000 to $5,000.
If you don’t inform your insurance company of the changes, they could deny your claim for damage or an accident. Standard insurance policies typically only cover original equipment installed by the manufacturer.
Should your car insurance company not offer custom parts coverage, shop around. Most major companies offer some form of coverage, so it shouldn’t take long to find a policy that suits your needs.
If you’d rather leave the hard work of gathering quotes to someone else, use Jerry. Jerry collects quotes from up to 50 top insurance companies and delivers the best deals to your phone in minutes for free.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Sep 15, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.