Do I have to switch my auto insurance if I'm in the military and I get stationed in a different state for a year?

I recently got stationed in a new state. However, my new location has decent public transportation and I'll only be driving my car on occasion. Do I need to switch the car insurance to a different state if I'm only stationed here for a year?

Apr 23, 2021
Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered at Apr 23, 2021
“Civilians are always required to change their car insurance to their new state if they move, but this doesn’t apply to military members. Most insurance companies, especially the best insurers for military, won’t require you to switch your insurance.
However, you should still do your due diligence and contact your car insurance provider just to make sure. If you’re stationed in your new state longer than expected, you might have to switch, but again, defer to your insurer. “
Car Insurance

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies