Can my home insurance cover damage from underground pipes?

Someone installed a pipe incorrectly that is causing damage to my home and property. Can I submit a claim to my insurance company?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“If you have an HO-2 homeowners policy, you may be covered for the water damage. Accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam is a covered peril within a HO-2 policy.
If you have a HO-3 policy, you would not have coverage as it is on the list of exclusions.
Coverage with your policy is also dependent on the type of damage the pipe is causing.
If you have additional coverage on your policy and the pipe causes your home or other structures to collapse, you may have coverage. This is because the use of defective materials in construction is covered under additional coverage for collapse.
However, you’ll want to reach out to your home insurance company directly. An agent can provide you with what exactly is and isn’t covered in your policy. They’ll also be able to advise you on whether you are able to submit a claim.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies