Table of Contents
- Allstate pros and cons
- How much does Allstate insurance cost?
- What types of car insurance does Allstate offer?
- Allstate’s auto insurance discounts
- Allstate vs. other insurance companies
- How to get an Allstate insurance quote
- How do customers rate Allstate auto insurance?
- Allstate’s services and features
- How to file a claim with Allstate
- Payment methods accepted by Allstate
- Allstate’s car insurance cancellation policy
- Allstate insurance background
- The takeaway: Is Allstate insurance company right for me?
Load full table of contents
If you’re considering checking out Allstate car insurance quotes, keep in mind that the company has many insurance options and stellar service, but your rates may be higher than from competitors.
Allstate pros and cons
The claims process is simple and convenient
Car insurance rates are often more costly than average
The company has a reputation for stellar customer service
No option to subscribe to annual payment plans
There are plenty of opportunities to bundle your services
How much does Allstate insurance cost?
Most drivers can expect their Allstate insurance policy to cost somewhere around $1,180 a year or approximately $170 a month.
One of the biggest factors that will determine the cost of your insurance plan is your desired coverage limits. For example, Allstate’s most comprehensive coverage plans cost about $1070 for a six-month premium, while the most affordable options might be as low as $378 for the same six months.
These averages will vary according to the state you live in, as well as your credit score, age, driving record, and
the deductibleyou choose (if you have one).
What types of car insurance does Allstate offer?
If you’re looking at car insurance quotes from Allstate, here are some of their basic auto coverage offerings. Keep in mind that policies can differ greatly based on many factors such as location, age, and driving record.
- Liability coverage: Liability policies protect you up to your policy’s limit should you be found at-fault in a car accident. Basicliability insurancecovers the expenses associated with the accident for the other party involved.
- Collision coverage: Allstate’scollision coverageprotects you in the event of a collision. This includes situations where you might hit another car or stationary object and situations when another vehicle collides with your parked car.
- Comprehensive coverage: Allstate’scomprehensive coverageprotects your vehicle in non-collision situations like floods, fire, vandalism, and theft.
- Medical payments coverage: Allstate’smedical payment coverageis an optional add-on that helps cover the costs of any medical expenses to you or your passengers up to your policy’s limits. This coverage kicks in for medical bills that are related to a collision where you are found at fault.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage:Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverageis designed to protect you should you find yourself in an accident with an at-fault driver who doesn’t have sufficient liability coverage. Uninsured motorist protection is legally required in some states, but it’s a good investment even if it’s not mandatory.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: When you invest in Allstate’s optionalrental reimbursement coverage, you will be protected up to your policy’s limit for any relevant transportation expenses while your vehicle is being repaired for a covered incident.
- Sound system coverage: Allstate’ssound system coverageis an optional feature that will cover the expenses, up to the policy limit, associated with repairs or replacement of an aftermarket sound system and speakers.
- Towing and labor coverage: Allstate’s optionaltowing and labor cost coveragepackage covers the costs of services should if you’re stranded at the side of the road following a breakdown.
- Roadside assistance coverage: Allstate’s Roadside Assistance plan provides you with 24/7 country-wide roadside assistance services, up to your policy limit. It includes towing, tire changes, jumpstarts, lockouts, and fuel delivery (you’re responsible for the cost of the fuel).
- Personal injury protection coverage: This popular option is often referred to as no-fault orPIP coverageand is designed to cover any relevant medical costs associated with a claimable incident, regardless of who is at fault. In some circumstances, it will also cover lost wages. This type of insurance is required in some states.
- Personal umbrella coverage: Allstate’s Personal Umbrella Policies go above and beyond their standard insurance offerings. These policies offer you great coverage options to ensure that your valuable assets are especially well-protected.
- Property protection coverage: If you live inMichigan, you are required to have property protection coverage for your vehicle. Allstate’s Property Protection Coverage plan will cover up to $1 million in damages in the event that another Michigan resident’s property is damaged in a vehicle accident where you are found at fault.
- Classic car insurance coverage: Allstate’s optionalclassic car insurancewill provide added protection for your classic car that goes above and beyond standard policy options.
- Rideshare insurance coverage: If you are a rideshare driver, Allstate’srideshare insurancepackage might be a good option for you. Your personal Allstate insurance policy will not cover the business use of your vehicle while operating for a rideshare service like Lyft or Uber, so this coverage can help fill the gaps.
To make sure you have adequate coverage, it’s generally a good idea (and often required) to purchase a car insurance policy that has both.
Allstate’s auto insurance discounts
Allstate is a large and diverse provider that offers a wide range of discounts. Never underestimate the power of discounts when it comes to saving money on your auto insurance policy.
Here are some of the notable car insurance discounts offered by Allstate:
- TeenSMART discount
- Defensive driver discount
- New car discount
- Multiple policies (bundling) discount
- Good student discount
- Discount if your car has anti-lock brakes
- Anti-theft device discount
- Early signing discount
- Discount if you didn’t receive cancellation notice for non-payment in the past year
- Discount for setting up automatic withdrawals
- Paperless discount
- Discount for paying upfront
- Safe driving discount
Allstate vs. other insurance companies
Allstate vs. Progressive
While Allstate customers tend to report higher levels of satisfaction with their services, Progressive offers better opportunities for cost-saving, especially for those who have less-desirable credit scores or driving histories.
The bottom line: No matter what demographic category you fall into, you are likely to get a better rate with Progressive than with Allstate, although you might not get the same level of satisfaction with Progressive.
Allstate vs. State Farm
Once again, Allstate insurance rates tend to be significantly higher than State Farm’s. This might be especially true if you fall into a category that might help you snag a lower rate, but State Farm policies also tend to be more affordable for those who fall into less desirable categories as well.
There’s an exception, though—Allstate has the more affordable coverage options for those with a credit score under 500. If you are working to build up your credit, Allstate is the provider that will offer you the more reasonable package.
Overall: Allstate car insurance is not cheap, but it could be a good option if you are looking for reputable coverage and opportunities to save by bundling your services.
How to get an Allstate insurance quote
Allstate provides a quote-generating tool on their website, but note that customers occasionally report inconsistent or misleading results. You can always call up an Allstate agent or drop by a branch if needed.
How do customers rate Allstate auto insurance?
According to the
2018 J.D. Power Associates U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, Allstate customers report average satisfaction in the following categories:
- Claim Servicing
- First Notice of Loss
- Overall Satisfaction
- Rental Experience
According to the same survey, customers tend to rate Allstate’s service as better than average in two categories:
- Estimation Process
- Repair Process
2018 U.S Auto Insurance Shopping Studyhas found that State Farm clocks about average in all the following categories:
- Call Center Representative
- Insurer Website
- Local Agent
- Overall Satisfaction
- Policy Offerings
Florida residents: You might want to consider Allstate—JD Power and Associates
has awardedit the highest-ranking position in this region for 2020.
Allstate’s services and features
The Allstate Digital Locker® app is a handy home inventory tool that will help you accurately assess your losses in the event of a claim.
The Allstate® Mobile App
The Allstate® mobile app is a worthwhile download that provides intuitive on-the-go access to the following services:
- Access to digital proof of insurance (pink card)
- The ability to review your current coverage plan and request changes
- The ability to review and pay your bills
- Instant notifications relating to your policy or account
- Easy access to contact information and support
- Access to the Drivewise feature to get constructive insight into your driving habits
- The ability to snap and upload claim photos
Allstate provides reliable and trackable roadside assistance plans that give you the flexibility to subscribe to everything you want (and leave out what you don’t).
If you don’t have an existing policy with Allstate, their Roadside Assistance membership plan allows you to enjoy roadside assistance coverage without having to buy into anything else.
The Pay-Per-Use will have you covered even when you aren’t subscribed to a membership plan, while the Insurance Add-On option allows you to combine a Roadside Assistance Membership plan with your existing Allstate insurance coverage.
Allstate Car Buying Service
Allstate Car Buying Service is a nifty online tool that is designed to help you price out your next vehicle purchase.
The Claim Satisfaction Guarantee
Allstate backs their claims with a unique money-back guarantee that you can use if you aren’t happy with your assessment.
The Milewise Program
The Allstate Milewise Program is an optional policy feature that allows you to calculate your premiums according to the number of miles you drive. It is a great option if you drive on an infrequent basis.
The Drivewise® Program
Drivewise® Program is an optional app feature that will track your driving habits in real time. It is a great option for anybody who is confident in their safe driving habits and is looking for opportunities to save.
How to file a claim with Allstate
If you need to file a claim, the most convenient way to get the process underway is to sign in to your Allstate account or mobile app. Remember that the sooner you file your claim after an incident, the better your claims process should be from start to finish.
You can also call the company directly or swing by one of their branches for support. Once you begin the claims process, you will receive a claim number that you will need to keep handy throughout the course of the claims investigation process.
In order to ensure the claim filing process goes as smoothly as possible, be prepared to provide the following information. (Using the mobile app will make it easier to upload any relevant data quickly and efficiently.)
- The location, date, and time of the accident
- The names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance policy numbers of anybody else involved
- A summary of the weather conditions
- Photo evidence of the accident scene and damage
- Any relevant copies of the police and/or accident reports
Once the claim is filed, it's a good idea to review your policy so you have an idea of what kind of payout or assistance you might expect. Remember that Allstate offers a claim satisfaction guarantee program, so you can always reject your claim if you aren’t satisfied with the outcome.
Once your claim is approved, you can proceed with the repairs and secure a replacement vehicle (if it is part of your coverage plan).
Payment methods accepted by Allstate
Allstate offers a full range of payment options to suit your needs:
- Automatic Online Payments
- Bank Payment/Direct Deposit
- Credit Card
- Debit Card
- Electronic Check
- Mail Payments
- Mobile App Payments
- Online Payments
- Person to Person
- Phone Payment
- Text Payments
Allstate’s car insurance cancellation policy
Allstate doesn’t make it particularly easy to cancel your existing
Allstate insurance coverage plan. While you can modify your policy via their app or online platform, you will have to call to speak to an agent to cancel.
Make sure you have the effective policy cancellation date written down so that you can ensure a smooth transition to your new policy. It also doesn’t hurt to ask about potential discounts that might be available to you should you choose not to cancel your policy.
Allstate insurance background
Way back in 1931, General Robert E. Wood wanted to pioneer a convenient way to sell insurance by mail. It was from here that the insurance giant Allstate was born.
Today Allstate is one of the largest and most trusted insurance providers in the country.
Headquartered in Northbrook, Illinois, the financial behemoth is best known for its car insurance packages. The wide range of products and services makes them a great pick for anybody who prefers to do all their business in one place.
The takeaway: Is Allstate insurance company right for me?
Allstate won’t typically be the most affordable option for insurance, but the company offers some great perks in relation to other national providers.
Their high claim reliability rankings and Claim Satisfaction Guarantee program make Allstate a great choice for anybody who wants to make sure that their insurance provider will come through when they need it most.
If you want to find out more about whether Allstate is the right provider to meet your insurance needs, you will need to find time to compare car insurance quotes. Thankfully,
Jerry’s convenient insurance comparison app will help you find the perfect policy options that suit your needs.
"I just had to buy a new car, and I needed quick help to get insurance before I could get my plates. Because I work so many hours,Jerrywas the ideal choice for getting things done without long phone calls and waiting periods.” —Rosa G.
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever