What should I check on my vehicle before winter weather hits?
I moved from Florida to Montana and I've never lived in a cold climate before. I'm arriving right before the winter hits, so I want to make sure my vehicle's ready for the cold. What should I check on my car before winter starts?
“You’ll need to check a few things before winter in Montana, but the good news is that they’re not hard to do. This might include:
- Changing the oil so your car runs smoothly
- Replacing windshield wipers for snow and rain
- Changing the battery if necessary or upgrading to a more reliable one
- Making sure your radiator has antifreeze and not water in it
- Packing an emergency kit with extra clothes, blankets, flares, and non-perishable food items
- Adding towing and labor coverage to your car insurance policy in case you get stranded
- Adding a roadside assistance membership through Jerry or AAA
- Take your car into the shop for a quick once-over to ensure nothing major is wrong with it
- Consider upgrading or switching to snow tires for more traction
If you do all of these, you should have a car that’s ready for even the harshest winter weather.”
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
What is the driving task?
My son just got his learner's permit and he wants me to help him with some of his driving material. Driver's ed is way different now than when I took it and it talks about the driving task. I've never heard of this before. To save face with my son, can you tell me what the driving task is?
Aug 03, 2021
How do I winterize my car for living in Chicago?
I'm moving from the south to the Midwest and I have to deal with driving in snow for the first time outside of ski trips. How can I prepare?
Jul 29, 2021
Can you live in your van permanently?
I was inspired to create my own campervan after visiting some friends in New Zealand. Living in a campervan there is common among both travelers/tourists and locals. I haven't seen many people that decided to live in a van in the U.S. Can I permanently live in a van legally in the U.S.?
Aug 03, 2021