What are some small cars with big engines?
I like smaller cars, but I don’t want to sacrifice power. What are some small cars with big engines?
Maxine Boyko · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Many small cars pack surprisingly big engines. Here are a few and their specs to get started:
- Ford Fiesta ST: This little car’s 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine can produce 197 horsepower and has excellent fuel economy.
- Hyundai Veloster Turbo: While this compact doesn’t feel cramped and it boasts a 1.6-liter turbocharged engine with 201 horsepower.
- Ford Focus RS: A 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine with 350 horsepower is crammed into this tiny model. It’s also one of Ford’s fastest, with a 0-to-60-mph acceleration of just 4.5 seconds.
- Toyota GRYaris: This supermini was designed for motorsports, but in order to follow the World Rally Championship (WRC) homologation rules, Toyota had to sell a certain amount of these to the consumer market. The GR Yaris features a 1.6-liter three-cylinder turbo engine which can put out 257 horsepower and 266 lb-ft of torque.
- Honda Civic Type-R: This little hatchback comes with a 2-liter turbocharged inline-four engine with 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque.
Finding the perfect tiny car with a big engine is one thing—finding insurance to cover it is another. Find out if you’re getting ripped off on your car insurance in two minutes or less and quickly make updates with the
Jerry is a licensed broker and insurance shopping super app designed to compare quotes across top-rated insurance companies. Once you find the rate that works for your budget, Jerry will help you enroll in your new coverage and cancel your old policy. Plus, the average user saves more than $800 per year.
How to find the engine and chassis numberThe Ford Fiesta ST, Toyota GR Yaris, and Honda Civic Type-R are a few small cars with big engines. Click here for more tiny cars big on power.
View full answer
WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Browse More Content
Car Repair Resources
Insurance in Your State
What Others Are Asking
What insurance is the cheapest for my junker summer car?
I bought an old junker car for $750 just to drive for the summer before I go off to college. The insurance is almost $200 a month! How can I get cheap insurance for my cheap car? I am 18 in PA.
How should I get my Mazda 3 hatchback lowered?
I picked up a Mazda 3 hatchback in fantastic condition! Now, I’d like to lower it. How should I get my Mazda 3 hatchback lowered?
Can you return a car in Florida?
I just bought a new Toyota RAV4 to be our family’s go-to vehicle about a week ago. We’re loving the car so far, but I noticed the paint is already chipping near the trunk! Is there any way I can still return it to the dealer in Florida?
Read Advice From Car Experts At Jerry
How to Get a Mississippi Learners Permit
You can apply for a temporary permit or a driver’s ed permit at age 15. Here’s what you need to know before you show up at the DPS.
How to Get a Learners Permit in California
You can apply for a learner’s permit in California once you turn 15 and a half years old, but you’ll need to complete a driver’s ed course first.
Browse By Topics
Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free
No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies