Is a locksmith covered by your homeowner's policy?

Is there a way to claim a locksmith on my homeowner's policy? This is the third time I have locked my keys in my house! Each time is about $150 to have someone help me get back into my house.

Shannon Martin · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“In most cases, your
homeowner’s policy
will not cover a claim for when your keys get locked inside your home.
Some insurance carriers may offer locksmith services as an additional endorsement to your home policy, similar to how a
towing and labor
endorsement adds locksmith coverage to your auto policy.
There are some cases where a locksmith will be covered, such as:
  • Theft–Keys are considered personal property, so if they are stolen, a locksmith service would be a reasonable coverage.
  • Break in–If your door and lock are damaged as part of vandalism, they would be covered.
  • Covered loss–If your keys or lock are destroyed in a fire or any other covered peril, a locksmith would be covered.
Keep in mind, if you only need your key or lock to be replaced and the value of the services is less than the homeowner’s deductible, you would want to pay for this out of pocket instead of making a claim.
In your situation, it may save money in the long run, to have a few extra keys make and give the spares to a couple of trusted friends or family members. This way, they can come to your rescue for free if you were to get locked out again.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings