How do I siphon gas out of a Toyota Camry?
I want to get the gas out of my car before I sell it. How do I do it safely?
Siphoning gas can be dangerous, but you’ll be fine as long as you do it properly. Before you empty your tank, park your car on flat ground. Be sure your engine is off and the keys are not in the ignition.
Then, follow these steps:
- Open the fuel door and gas cap and feed a rubber hose into the gas tank.
- Blow into the rubber hose. When you hear a bubbling noise, you’ll know that the other end of the hose is in the gas.
- Drape your hose so that it slopes all the way to the ground before curving up into your hand. The end that you hold should be higher than your fuel tank.
- Suck on the end of the hose. Watch the fuel moving through the hose and, when it passes the lowest part of the hose, take the hose out of your mouth.
- Lift up your gas can so that it is also higher than your car’s fuel tank, then feed the open end of the hose into the gas can.
- Once the hose is inside, lower the can until it is lower than your fuel tank. At this point, the gas should start flowing into your gas can.
- Watch your gas can carefully as you’re filling it. When you have enough fuel, lift the hose and can higher than the gas tank once again. The fuel flow should stop.
- Lift and straighten the hose to send any remaining fuel back into your car. At this point, you should be able to remove the hose and close your fuel tank.
Since you’re selling your car, your insurance policy will need some updating. The Jerry app will help you collect quotes from top insurance companies so you can compare prices and policies in minutes.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you open a stuck car door latch?
What’s the best way to open a stuck car door latch? My driver’s side door is jammed, so I’ve been sliding in from the passenger’s side. I think it’s about time I get it fixed.
Nov 12, 2021
How do you dry a car without leaving streaks?
What’s the best way to dry my car without leaving streaks all over it? I’m picking up my girlfriend’s parents from the airport in a few days, and I want the car to look as clean as possible.
Nov 12, 2021
How do I open my Tesla Model S charging port?
I need to charge my new Tesla but I'm not sure how to open the charging port. How do I do it?
Nov 12, 2021