How do I remove acid rain spots from car paint?
Is it possible to remove acid rain spots from car paint? I have a black car and the acid rain marks are very noticeable. Is there a way to remove them without damaging the paint?
Yes, it is possible and fairly simple! All you’ll need is:
- Car soap
- Detailing clay bar kit
- Protective wax or sealant
Once you have your materials, you’re ready to begin:
- Remove any debris or dirt by washing your car. Make sure to dry your vehicle as well.
- Knead a bar of detailing clay into a ball. Once it has softened, flatten the clay into a disc shape.
- Spray the lubricant from the clay bar kit over in a single section.
- Rub the clay across the lubricated section and apply medium pressure. Keep the clay in close contact with the surface of the vehicle, but don’t scrape. Continue using the clay over the paintwork until the surface feels smooth. Apply more lubricant if the paint dries.
- Repeat this process, working in small areas at a time until the car is complete. If, at any point, there are large pieces of debris clinging to the clay bar, be sure to remove them.
- Wash and dry your vehicle one more time. Apply the protective wax or sealant.
After this, your car’s paint should look shiny and fresh! To protect your car’s paint in the future, frequent and proper washing and indoor storage will help. Regularly applying a protective sealant will also help.
Since you care about your vehicle, consider getting roadside membership assistance through Jerry. Jerry’s membership provides you with industry-leading roadside assistance, including benefits like towing, lockout service, and a mechanics hotline.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How to get a free car seat?
Is there any way to get free car seats for your kids? As a parent, I’m really big on safety—but I’m also big on budgeting. I’d like to get a good car seat for my daughter, but they’re so expensive. If there are any ways to get them cheaper or for free in California, I’d love to hear about them.
Nov 11, 2021
How do you remove car wax off plastic surfaces?
I live in a rainy city, and I know my vehicle paint can be damaged from hard water spots. To protect the paint, I waxed my car, but I accidentally got some of the wax on the plastic trim. How can I remove car wax off the plastic surfaces of my car?
Nov 11, 2021
How can I paint my car matte black?
I really love the way matte black cars look. I would love to paint my car this way. What’s the best way to paint a car matte black?
Nov 11, 2021