How do I dry water from my car’s wet carpet?
I was at work and we got some surprise flash flooding that pretty much soaked my car carpet. What are some ways that I can dry this water out of my wet car carpet?
I’m sorry to hear your car was damaged in a flash flood. Drying your car’s carpet should be done as quickly as possible to avoid water damage and the growth of bacteria, mold, or mildew.
To quickly dry out your wet car carpet, follow these five steps:
- Park in a safe, dry area and open your doors. Parking outdoors will give you the best results, but a garage also works.
- Take out your floor mats and set them aside to dry.
- Use a towel to absorb as much water as you can. Do not use paper towels. They aren’t absorbent enough and often leave an unpleasant paper film on the carpet.
- Use any fans you have access to increasing airflow through the vehicle.
- Purchase or rent a wet-dry vacuum cleaner. This type of vacuum cleaner is designed to pick up liquids and is the fastest and most effective way of drying your car carpet.
As flash flooding is often unexpected, be sure you have the best car insurance coverage on your car. Having comprehensive coverage can help pay for damage that a flood may cause.
If you don’t currently have comprehensive coverage or would like to review your insurance options, consider using Jerry.
The Jerry app collects quotes from over 50 top insurance companies, like Nationwide and Allstate, in seconds! They even help cancel your old policy once you’ve made your pick.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
Can I refinance a car loan for more money?
I want to have my driveway resealed before winter comes, but the paving company requires the job to be paid in full. I don’t have quite enough saved up yet, and I was thinking about refinancing my car loan to help. I’d like to walk away with some extra cash, but can you refinance a car loan for more money?
Jan 03, 2022
How do you install a snorkel on a Ford Ranger?
I want to go off-roading in my Ranger, but I want to avoid getting dirt in my air filter. How do you install a snorkel on a Ford Ranger to keep the air intake clean?
Jan 03, 2022
How long until you can refinance a car loan?
My credit score has improved since I took out my loan. I know I can get a better deal somewhere else if I refinance. How long do I have to wait until I can refinance my car loan?
Jan 03, 2022