How can I become a car insurance assessor?

I’m looking to change career paths a bit and have heard good things about working in the insurance industry. I love cars and was curious, how can I become a car insurance assessor?

Working in the insurance sector is an excellent career choice! The process for becoming a car insurance assessor, commonly referred to as an insurance claims adjustor, varies by state but in general, you will have to:
  • Complete your high school education or have a GED equivalent
  • Complete an insurance claims adjuster licensing course
  • Pass a state-level insurance claims adjuster course
Not every state requires a car insurance claims adjuster to be licensed, but some companies will, and having the correct license and education can help advance your career. Additionally, a claims adjuster can work directly for one insurance company, independently as a contractor for multiple insurance companies, or as a public adjuster.
If you’re not sure being a claims adjustor is right for you, or you want to advance your career further, consider becoming a licensed car insurance agent. Car insurance agents can’t work for the public as claims adjusters can, but they can work for companies like Jerry which does not require car insurance claims adjusters.
Jack Walsh
Answered on Oct 22, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free