Can I seek pain and suffering after an accident, even if I didn't lose money?

"I was injured in a not-at-fault accident. While I've had medical treatment and that has been stressful, nothing else in my life was affected.

My employer was willing to work with me, so I didn't lose wages. I also had help from friends and family, so I didn't need to hire additional help or rent a car. If I didn't lose any money, can I still ask for pain and suffering?"

“Pain and suffering is considered to be general damage. This means that there is no monetary value attached to the damage.
Because it’s a non-economic loss, general damage can’t be assigned a specific dollar value like a lost wage or medical bills. Your pain and suffering is unique to your situation.
Although you had help, you were still in pain and experiencing mental anguish, and your life was impacted. Car insurance companies base pain and suffering damages on these factors. When negotiating with the insurance company for a settlement, you’ll want to think about all the ways your life was impacted.
Bodily injury liability exists to cover damages done to another party. You are legally owed pain and suffering damages when injured in a not-at-fault accident. You shouldn’t feel bad about asking for compensation. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free