Can I drive in the US with a Jamaican driving license?

I'm going to be visiting my cousin this summer in New York and I want to drive her car. Can I do this legally?

“In the US, you can drive legally for up to three months with a foreign license, so long as that license has information in English.
If your license is not in English or if you plan on renting a vehicle in the US, you may need to obtain what’s called an International Driver’s Permit (IDP), which you can get from your home country.
You also want to make sure you will be covered by your cousin’s car insurance policy or else obtain your own coverage. If you want to help your cousin save money and time looking for insurance, try the free Jerry app. You can sign up for Jerry in under 45 seconds and then Jerry does all the hard work of comparing rates and helping with the signup paperwork.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 11, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.