Can apartment management require you to list them as a certificate holder or interested party?

"As a condition of my lease, the management of my new apartment wants me to list them as a certificate holder or interested party on my renters insurance. Can they legally make this demand? I'd prefer not to list them on my policy if I don't have to.


“Great question! Yes, they can legally make this demand. Listing the apartment complex as a certificate holder or interested party means that they will be notified if you cancel your renters insurance or allow it to lapse.
But if you have a claim, they would not be entitled to any part of your claim payment. The apartment complex only wants to be listed to ensure that you maintain your renters insurance with the required personal liability coverage. “
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Apr 08, 2021
Jackie Whalen has been in the insurance industry for over 7 years, working in sales, service and claims. She has won numerous awards as a top salesperson and customer service agent. She currently lives in New York with her husband. Her 24 year old son recently moved out on his own which has given her more time to travel, write and train her dog Maisy not to chase her cat, Whiskey.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free