How to Replace a Lost Pennsylvania Driver’s License

You can replace your Pennsylvania driver’s license with a few forms and as $31.50 fee, but it takes a couple of weeks for the DOT to send your new license.
Written by Joshua Levy
Replacing your
driver’s license is as easy as hopping online, filling out a form, and waiting for your new license to arrive by mail. You may be eligible for a temporary license in the meantime, so you can hit the road while you wait for the DMV to process your request. 
  • Lost Pennsylvania driver’s licenses and learner’s permits may be replaced online, in person, or by mail.
  • Temporary licenses are valid for 15 days until your replacement license arrives by mail.
  • Only select government employees can replace their PA driver’s license while out of state.

How to replace a lost driver’s license in Pennsylvania

No matter where you left your driver’s license, you won’t be able to drive without it. And most replacements take a few weeks to process! That’s why it’s important to submit your application for a replacement license as soon as possible. 
In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, you can replace your lost driver’s license online, by mail, or in person. 
Make safe driving pay
Get rewarded for safe driving. Earn points and unlock benefits. Totally free.
Start earning now

Replacing a lost Pennsylvania license online

To replace your Pennsylvania driver’s license online: Navigate to the Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles’ (DMV’s)
online license replacement portal
. All you need to do is enter some basic information, such as your date of birth and Social Security number. From there, the portal will prompt you to fill out additional required information as you go. 
Once you’re finished, you’ll be able to print off a temporary license until your duplicate driver’s license arrives in the mail. The temporary license will be valid for 15 days.
Keep in mind: You can only request a replacement license online if the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (DOT) has your photo and signature on file. If they don’t, you’ll need to replace your license by mail or in person. 
You’ll also need to replace your license in person if you plan to upgrade to a REAL ID and don’t already have one.
rating reverse-full
"I’m earning
awesome rewards
every week, just for driving safe!”

Replacing a lost Pennsylvania license in person

To replace your Pennsylvania non-commercial driver’s license in person, simply make an appointment at the DOT and bring the following to the driver license center:
  • Completed
    Form DL-80
  • Check or money order for $31.50 license replacement fee addressed to PennDOT
  • State-issued identification
While it will take a few weeks to get your new license after applying, you can get a 15-day interim license so you can drive while you wait. But keep in mind that driving without a license is illegal. If your license takes more than 15 days to arrive, it’s best to stay off the road until it comes.
You can also request your new license by mail by sending the same forms and payment mentioned above to the following address:
PennDOT P.O. Box 68272  Harrisburg, PA 17106-8272 
If the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (DOT) doesn’t have your photo on file: A camera card will be mailed to you at the address you have on file with the PennDOT, which you’ll then need to take to a photo center to get a new photo for your license replacement.

What if you lose your Pennsylvania license out of state?

While some states are relatively flexible about replacing licenses for residents who are currently away, Pennsylvania is not one of them. 
In fact, Pennsylvania only replaces licenses out of state if you work for one of the following organizations:
  • U.S. Armed Forces
  • Federal government
  • PA state government
If you don’t work for one of the organizations above, you will not qualify for an out-of-state license replacement. 
If you do, you can mail the following to the address above to get a replacement license from out of state:
  • Completed
    DL-80 Form
  • Completed
    DL-82 Form
  • Check or money order for $31.50 addressed to PennDOT
  • Letter from your employer noting your company status or a copy of a valid photo ID from your employer
Remember that the DOT will take a few weeks to process your request, so you may need to wait a while before you can get back on the road.
“I decided to try
because my car insurance had been increasing drastically with each policy renewal. Jerry found me multiple ways to save after entering just a few pieces of info! I’m saving almost $70 a month after choosing Nationwide.” —Ish M.
Compare quotes from 50+ insurers with Jerry in under 45 seconds?
icon4.7/5 rating on the App Store | Trusted by 5+ million customers and 7 million cars
icon4.7/5 app rating | Trusted by 5M+ drivers
Are you overpaying for car insurance?
Compare quotes and find out in 45 seconds.
Try Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings