Replacement tail lights for most
Audimodels run between $65 and $100. If the tail lights on your Audi need to be replaced, you can save a little money by doing the repairs yourself (and skipping the hassle of filing an insurance claim).
A vehicle’s tail lights are important for maintaining safety on the road. If the tail lights on your Audi aren’t working properly, you should replace them quickly to avoid potential accidents—and expensive tickets.
Compare insurance quotes from 50+ carriers with Jerry in under 45 seconds
How to replace an Audi tail light
Cost: $65 to $100
Time: 5 minutes
Tools needed: Flat head screwdriver, replacement parts
The first step to replacing your Audi tail lights is determining why your tail lights aren’t working. Obviously, if your tail light was smashed in an accident or you backed into your garbage can on collection day, then knowing why your tail light isn’t working is easy.
But if your tail light stops working unexpectedly, you may need to do some troubleshooting.
Depending on the exact issue you’re having, you might just need to replace a burnt-out bulb or you might have a more complex job like a fuse replacement. A burnt-out bulb would affect only one tail light, and your brake lights would still work. A blown fuse will usually knock out both tail lights.
Once you know what kind of issue you’re dealing with, check your owner’s manual for the specific parts you need to order. This will be based on several factors like your Audi model, trim level, or model year.
Once you have all your tools and replacement parts, you can begin replacing your Audi tail light. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Disconnect the car battery. It’s always a good idea to disconnect from a power source when you’re dealing with wires.
- Remove the tail light cover. In most Audi models, this is located in the trunk. Use your flat head screwdriver to pry the cover off from the top.
- Remove the screw holding the tail light in place.
- Remove the tail light assembly. The assembly is still connected by some wires, so don’t pull too hard.
- Disconnect the wiring harness.
- At this point, if you need to replace the whole tail light, connect the new tail light back to the wiring harness and then install it and replace the tail light cover. If you need to replace just the bulbs, keep reading.
- Remove the backing from the tail light housing by pushing the tabs in. This will expose all of the bulbs.
- Twist the bulbs out and replace with new ones. Test the new bulbs before reinstalling the tail light housings.
Key Takeaway You can easily replace Audi tail lights yourself with the right replacement parts and a flat head screwdriver.
Commons reasons for Audi tail light malfunctions
If your tail lights are broken in an accident, it’s pretty clear why they aren’t working. However, if there are no obvious signs of damage, there might be several reasons why your tail lights aren’t working properly.
- Burnt-out bulb: if only one tail light is out and your brake lights still work, it’s possible that a bulb is just dead.
- Wiring or fuses: if both of your tail lights are out, or your brake lights are affected, you could have a more widespread wiring issue or a blown fuse.
- Damaged socket: If moisture gets into your tail light housing, it could damage the light sockets.
- Faulty control switch: If you’ve checked the wiring, fuses, sockets, and bulbs and are still having tail light issues, it’s possible that the control switch is broken.
Car Loan for Audi 2022
Does car insurance cover broken tail lights?
Depending on your car insurance coverage, your Audi’s broken tail light might be covered. However, it’s often cheaper and easier to skip filing an insurance claim.
However, if you’re thinking about filing a claim, remember that you’ll have to
pay your deductiblebefore your provider will pay for tail light damage. Tail lights are so cheap to replace that you might actually save money by doing the repairs yourself and not relying on insurance.
A tail light replacement for an Audi is $100 on the high end. The average car insurance deductible is around $500, so it doesn’t make much financial sense to pay a $500 deductible for a $100 repair.
Also, keep in mind that your car insurance rates may go up if you file a claim. So unless you’re looking at a huge repair bill that includes damage beyond just a tail light, it’s better to pay out of pocket.
How to find affordable Audi insurance
Audi owners pay around $1,884 a year for car insurance. However, there are a lot of factors that could influence your car insurance rates including your age, location, or driving record.
The easiest way to save money on your car insurance is by comparing quotes from different companies, and the
Jerryapp makes shopping for coverage easier than it’s ever been.
In as little as 45 seconds, Jerry will deliver quotes from the nation’s top providers straight to your device so you can compare prices on the coverage you need. Jerry customer support can even help you cancel your old policy and get you switched to your new provider.
“This app is all about savings!Jerryjust saved me $193/month on my car insurance. They literally found me the cheapest policies out there and with better coverage! Seriously, just sit back and watch Jerry work its magic.” —Rachel B.
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍