The General offers liability and other types of insurance in all 50 states and is often a good choice of provider for high-risk drivers. An auto liability policy from The General ranges from approximately $89 to $128 per month.
Does The General offer liability insurance?
It breaks down into two categories:
- Bodily injury liability insurance:Bodily injury (BI) coveragepays for other people’s medical expenses caused by an accident where you were at fault. As well as bills, it can also cover pain and suffering and lost wages. This coverage helps to protect you from potential lawsuits by ensuring that the damages you cause are paid for.
- Property damage liability insurance:Property damage (PD) coveragepays for any damages to other people’s property that arise from an accident you caused. This is usually in the form of car repairs, but can also go towards structures or landscaping.
Specific details vary from provider to provider, so contact a representative from The General for all the provisions.
On top of that, the dollar amount of liability insurance that you’re required to have is different in every state. You can get more, but you have to at least have the minimum.
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever
Do you need more than liability insurance?
It depends on where you live and your individual circumstances. Some states (like
Washington) only require drivers to have liability insurance. But other states, like
Maine, have more robust requirements, and drivers in these states may need to purchase additional policies, like
uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage,
personal injury protection (PIP), and
Here are some situations where you might need more than just liability insurance:
- You live in a state with additional insurance requirements. Every state has different requirements, which can be a little annoying. Make sure you know theminimum insurance requirements in your stateto avoid running afoul of the law.
- You have additional risk factors. If you live in an area with a high crime rate, work for aridesharecompany, or have a particularly pricey vehicle, more coverage is needed.
- You (or your most frequent passengers) don’t have health insurance. Medical costs can get insanely high in a short period of time, and PIP or MedPay can make sure you won’t be saddled with massive medical debt. This can also be smart coverage to get if you do have health insurance, but your deductible is unmanageably high.
Cost of The General liability insurance
On average, The General customers pay between $1,067 and $1,530 per year for liability coverage.
If that seems like both a big range and a lot of money, that would be accurate. Since The General specializes in covering
high-risk driversand drivers that other companies won’t insure, the cost for coverage is going to be higher on average.
Take a look at the table below to see how The General’s cost for minimum insurance (liability plus state requirements) compares to other major insurance companies.
Average annual cost of minimum coverage
Average monthly cost of minimum coverage
As you can see, the cost of coverage ranges quite a bit! This is why it’s crucial to
compare at least three different quotesbefore you purchase a policy—this way you can find the provider that’s best for you.
Is the Jerry app legit?
The bottom line
The General’s coverage can be quite a bit more expensive than other drivers due to the high-risk nature of their clientele, but it can also be your best option if you have an
SR-22or a serious violation on your record. Many insurance companies don’t work with SR-22s or insure high-risk drivers, which is where providers like The General can be a real help.
But if you’re not a high-risk driver, you’ll most likely be able to find cheaper coverage elsewhere.
“I recently started looking for insurance. With my past ticket, I got rejected from several companies while others charged me extreme prices. My friend referred me toJerryand their amazing customer service helped me get the lowest insurance rate.” —Christina H.
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
Let Jerry find your price in only 45 seconds
No spam · No long forms · No fees
What is the difference between liability and full-coverage insurance?
Liability coverage is legally required in almost every state and pays for other drivers’ damages if you’re at fault in an accident. Full coverage includes all of the minimum requirements of a state, as well as additional policies, like collision and comprehensive coverage. Full coverage isn’t a requirement in any state, but it is a good way to make sure that you and your vehicle are protected.
Is liability insurance required by law?
Yes. With the exception of New Hampshire and Virginia, liability insurance is legally required in every state. Drivers in those two states can purchase it if they want to, but it’s not mandatory.
Does liability insurance have a deductible?
No. Unlike comprehensive and collision insurance policies, liability insurance doesn’t have a deductible.
Does The General provide proof of insurance?
Yes. You can access your proof of insurance via The General’s app. You can also contact their customer service to have a copy emailed to you.