Is there a way to get your name off of a car loan without refinancing?

I want to remove my name from the car loan I share with my ex-wife, but she won't qualify for a loan on her own. What are my options?

Sophie Newman · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“Typically, refinancing is the only way to transfer responsibility between parties. If your ex can’t qualify for the loan on her own, she could ask someone else besides you to be a co-signer, such as a parent or sibling.
If you want to remove yourself completely from responsibility for the vehicle, you’ll also want to make sure the title and
car insurance
are in her name.
If refinancing isn’t possible, your credit is at risk if your ex-wife can’t make the payments. Unfortunately, as long as your name is still on the loan, in the lender’s eyes, it’s still your joint responsibility, regardless of what the divorce decree says.
While it adds another thing to your plate (I know you already have so much to do), if you haven’t divided insurance policies, you should begin looking into that. You’ll likely want to get your own policy as a result of the divorce, and
is here to help. Jerry is a free online comparison tool that shops for the best deals and delivers them to your phone in minutes.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings