If I'm an adult living with my parents, do I need renters insurance?

"I'm 25 years old, I'm no longer a student, and I pay rent while living with my parents. Do I need renters insurance to protect my things, or am I covered under my parents' homeowners policy?"

Answer provided by
Savannah Grabek
Answered on Jun 16, 2021
Savannah Grabek is an expert in Personal Lines insurance. She has 5 years experience in the insurance industry. Savannah began her carrier working with just property insurance and is now tenured in all personal line including home, auto, motorcycle, boat and umbrella. She previously worked for GEICO and has now been working with Jerry insurance for the past year. Savannah lives in New York with her son, fiancé, and puppy Bear. In her free time she enjoys spending quality time with her family and hiking with her dog.
“Some home insurance policies may extend coverage to resident relatives. But in most cases, it is still a better idea to have your own coverage.
In the event of a loss, your parents’ home insurance only has a limited amount of coverage for personal property. Chances are they will want to use their coverage for bigger-ticket items like furniture and their own belongings, since they pay for the policy.
To ensure that everyone has enough personal property coverage, it would be better for you to have your own renters insurance. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies