How do you load a car on a trailer?
What’s the best way to load a car on a trailer? I’m transporting my car to my new house tomorrow, but I need to move it with a trailer. I’ve never done it before, so I need some clear tips or instructions!
Congratulations on the move! The method you use to safely load your car onto a trailer will depend on your car and the trailer. But these steps can help you get your car onto most standard trailers:
- Before you start, be sure that the towing vehicle is parked on a level surface and check all of the safety chains and attachments on the trailer.
- At the front of the trailer, detach the tire straps from the ratchets.
- Now, prepare the loading ramps by releasing the latches holding them in place, and pulling the ramps out as far as they’ll go.
- Next, center your car behind the trailer.
- Don’t allow anyone to stand between your car and the trailer during loading, even to guide you.
- Drive slowly up the ramp until your tires bump the wedges at the front of the trailer.
- Once you reach the stops, put the car in park and engage the parking brake to prevent rolling or shifting during transport.
- Secure your vehicle with the tire straps and any other equipment you have to stop it from moving during transport.
And you’re done! If you follow those steps, you should have an easy time loading your car on the trailer. Remember, your insurance rate will often increase when you move.
To make sure you’re still getting the best rates for the coverage you need, try Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you compare personalized quotes from over 50 top providers like Progressive and Nationwide for free. When you find a better plan, Jerry can help you buy your new coverage and even help cancel your old policy!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you open a BMW top box?
What should I do to open my BMW’s top box? I’ve never used it before, but we’re going on a road trip, and some extra storage could be helpful.
Nov 20, 2021
How do you open a Tesla sunroof?
How can I open my Tesla’s sunroof? The car is new, and I’m still trying to figure everything out. I’d like to put down the top so I can take a ride in the sun, but I don’t know how to!
Nov 20, 2021
How do you pair a BMW key fob?
What do I need to do to pair my BMW key fob with my car? I assumed it would just work out of the box, but that is clearly not the case.
Nov 20, 2021