How do I get rid of ants in my car vents?
How can I get rid of the ants living in my car vents? I left some candy in my car for a few days and now there are ants all over my car and vents! How can I get rid of them?
Insectscan be cool from a distance, but you definitely don’t want them around your car or in your vents! Here’s how to get rid of them:
- Inspect the ants and take note of their size and color. See if you can find the source of the colony or the nest.
- If you find the nest, remove it immediately! Throw the nest in a trash bag, but make sure you’re wearing gloves and protective clothes.
- Dispose of the nest far away from your house.
- Run the air vents to get the ants out. You may want to set sticky traps near the vent to catch any strays.
- Deep clean clean your car interior. Be sure to get rid of any food, napkins, and eatingware. Take note of any damp areas, as ants are attracted to these.
- After your car is fully clear, set up pesticides and traps. Apply the pesticide to your seats and hidden areas where ants may hide. Set traps around your car to catch any stragglers.
DO NOT spray pesticide in your vents! If you spray pesticide in your vent, you risk inhaling toxic fumes when you drive.
After you’re done following the steps above, opt to use a peppermint or cinnamon scent to keep the ants away for good.
While you’re doing this, you might also want to think about making sure your car has adequate protection. If you want to make sure you’re getting the best deal possible on your car insurance, check out the Jerry app—we’ll get you customized quotes from different top-of-the-line insurers so that all you need to do is pick the policy that works best for you.
Best of luck with cleaning out the ants! Hopefully your pests are quickly taken care of.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I report auto insurance fraud in California?
I saw someone posted on social media about having a fake car insurance card. They live in my area and I'm wondering how I can report them. I know this is super illegal, so I don't really think it's fair that they're getting away with it.
Oct 25, 2021
How can I prevent my car doors from freezing shut?
Can I prevent my car doors from freezing shut? I just moved to Maine, and the winters here are absolutely brutal. I need to find a way fast to keep my car locks from freezing shut so I'm not late for work, but I’m not sure how! Is there any way I can keep them from freezing on me?
Oct 25, 2021
How can you become a car insurance agent?
How can I become a car insurance agent later in life? I have been working in the furniture business for the past 25 years and need to make a change. I know it's a little late to start a new career, but I want something more stable.
Nov 01, 2021