Am I covered for hardwood damage after a sink overflow?

My kitchen sink overflowed, which caused damage to my hardwood floor. Will home insurance cover this?

A kitchen-sink overflow sounds like a mess! Hopefully you are able to get that cleaned up soon. Water damage that is caused by an overflowing sink is normally covered under home insurance, so the damage to your hardwood floor would be covered.
Many people hear the term “water” and automatically think flood, which is not covered under a standard home policy. The difference is that a flood starts outside of your home — for example, from a heavy rainstorm or a rising river. A kitchen-sink overflow is considered a “sudden and accidental” event, so typically it would be covered under your policy.
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Apr 02, 2021
Jackie Whalen has been in the insurance industry for over 7 years, working in sales, service and claims. She has won numerous awards as a top salesperson and customer service agent. She currently lives in New York with her husband. Her 24 year old son recently moved out on his own which has given her more time to travel, write and train her dog Maisy not to chase her cat, Whiskey.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free