How to Replace a Lost Washington Driver’s License

Good drivers deserve even better coverage. Let Jerry compare the best rates and coverage so you don't have to worry about car insurance ever again.
No long forms · No spam · No fees
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
If you need to replace your Washington driver’s license, you can do it online, in person, or through the mail. You are permitted to replace your driver’s license up to three times per year, and the fee is $20. 
Losing your driver’s license can seem like a major crisis at worst, and an annoying inconvenience at the very least. Most of us rely heavily on driving for our day-to-day lives, but driving without a license can result in serious penalties
But try not to stress too much!
Car insurance
super app
has your back when it comes to replacing your lost Washington driver’s license. Read on to learn the details of getting a replacement license in Washington so you can get back on the road ASAP. Plus, we'll share some tips on how to save on your
Washington insurance costs
Compare insurance quotes from 50+ carriers with Jerry in under 45 seconds
rating primary
4.7/5 App Store Rating. Trusted by 2+ Million Customers.

How to replace a lost driver’s license in Washington 

Whether your license was lost due to a stolen wallet or a chaotic moving day, it’s important to replace it as soon as you can. Driving without a license can result in some stiff penalties. 
Additionally, if you think your license may have been stolen, Washington recommends that you file a police report and inform the Department of Licensing (DOL). They may choose to issue you a new license number to prevent identity theft.
If your license was due to expire in three months or less, Washington prefers that you renew it instead.

Replacing a lost Washington  license online

Washington has two different routes for replacing a lost license online:
  • If you have a
    License Express
    account, you can use it to quickly order a replacement. Creating a License Express account saves all your personal, license, and car information in one place and is a great way to do all things DOL. Check it out!
  • If you don’t have a License Express account, you can still order a replacement online through the standard
    DOL online services
    page. Be prepared to provide your name, date of birth, Social Security number, and address.
There are a few reasons why you may not be able to order a replacement online, including:
  • You are under 18 years of age
  • You have moved out of state
  • You have changed your name
  • You have unpaid fines or dishonored checks
  • Your license has been suspended or revoked
Payment of the $20 fee can be made via credit card or bank information. For credit cards, there may be an additional processing fee attached. 
You can expect to get your replacement license in the mail in two to four weeks—in the meantime, you can print out a temporary one. This won’t have your picture on it, though, so it can’t be used for ID purposes.

Replacing a lost Washington license in person

If you are not able to order a replacement online, you can apply for one at your local
DOL office
. Appointments are required, so make sure you schedule ahead of time. 
Consult the DOL’s
proof of identity info
for detailed instructions and guidance on what documents you will need to bring. In general, be prepared to present: 
  • Proof of identity: Your birth certificate or passport
  • Social Security documents: Your Social Security card, W-2, or 1099 form
  • Proof of current address: A mortgage statement or utility bill
Fill out the required paperwork and pay your $20 fee at the DOL office. Some locations do not take credit or debit cards, so make sure you know what’s accepted at the office you’re headed to. You will get a temporary license until your permanent replacement arrives in two to four weeks.

What if you lose your Washington license out of state?

If your license is lost or stolen while you are out of state, you can apply for a replacement via the mail if: 
  • Your license is in good standing and all of the information on it is current.
  • You will not be back in Washington state for 30 days.
You will need to fill out a
Driver License Renewal/Replacement Request While Out-of-State Form
and send a check or money order for the $20 fee to:
Department of LicensingPO Box 9048Olympia, WA 98507-9048
If you are in the military and need to replace your license while you are stationed outside Washington, see the DOL’s information for
military personnel

How to save money on car insurance in Washington 

You did it! That wasn’t too bad, right? Now that we’ve got your lost license sorted, let’s take a few minutes to make sure you’re getting the best deal possible on
car insurance
. There’s no better way to find affordable rates on the coverage you need than using
Just download the
trusted comparison tool
, enter a little bit of info, and in minutes Jerry will bring you quotes from top insurance companies. Sign-up is easy, and you can even get help canceling your old policy. The average Jerry user saves $800+ a year! 
experience was great! My rep was so personable and set me up with Nationwide insurance. It was a huge help.” —Lana P.
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍
Gabriella R.
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store
By Amber Reed
Updated on Jan 26, 2023
Reviewed by Jessica Barrett, Senior Editor.
Compare Car Insurance Quotes For Free
Jerry automatically shops for your insurance before every renewal. Members save $872/year.
rating primary
Rating on App Store
Start saving money!
12,000+ Reviews
Trusted by 3.5M car owners like you

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free