What You Need to Know About Oklahoma’s Fair Housing Act

Easiest way to compare and bundle your car and renters insurance, for free
No long forms · No spam · No fees
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
State and federal laws in Oklahoma make it illegal to deny someone housing opportunities based on their race, national origin, sex, disability, familial status, religion, or age
Everyone deserves access to safe housing, and fair housing laws help protect those rights. Unfortunately, not all housing providers play by the rules. When that’s the case, you have the option of filing a complaint at the state or federal level.
To help give you a better sense of fair housing laws in Oklahoma, Jerry, the licensed broker and app for home and renters insurance, is here with this introductory guide. Keep reading to learn who Oklahoma’s fair housing laws protect, as well as how to submit a complaint when housing discrimination occurs.
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever

Does Oklahoma have a Fair Housing Act?

It does! Requirements of the Oklahoma Fair Housing Law are outlined in Title 25, Article 4A, Section 1451 through article 5, Section 1508 in the Oklahoma Statutes.
In combination, Oklahoma state and federal laws make it illegal to deny someone housing based on their race, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, familial status, religion, and age.
Examples of housing discrimination, when based solely on the protected classes above, would include:
  • Refusal to rent or sell an available property, despite an acceptable offer or application
  • Refusal to show a property available for sale or rent
  • Offering different terms and conditions for home financing
  • Refusal to accept a mortgage application that would be considered acceptable
  • Refusal to make reasonable accommodations or modifications for a tenant with a disability
If you believe you’ve experienced housing discrimination that has violated Oklahoma state law, you can file a complaint through the Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office of Civil Rights Enforcement (OCRE).  

Accessibility requirements under the Fair Housing Act

One major component of making housing safe, accessible, and enjoyable for individuals with one or more disabilities is making reasonable accommodations and modifications as required under federal law. Generally, accommodations refer to policy, rule, or service changes to accommodate a person’s disability, while modifications refer to physical or structural changes made to a dwelling.
The following are just a handful of examples of reasonable accommodations and modifications:
  • Allowing a service animal in a building that doesn’t allow pets
  • Making an accessible parking space available to an individual with a disability
  • Allowing a person with a disability to move to a ground-floor unit
  • Making hallways and rooms wheelchair-accessible
  • Accepting rent payment on a date that’s compatible with when an individual receives income assistance
  • Installing an entrance/exit ramp 
  • Installing handrails in a bathroom
A landlord can deny reasonable accommodation and modification requests under certain circumstances, like if the request would present the landlord with an “undue financial burden.” However, if your landlord refuses to meet a reasonable accommodation or modification request that you believe is legally required, you can file a complaint under the Fair Housing Act.

How to file a fair housing complaint in Oklahoma

If your fair housing rights have been violated in Oklahoma, you have several options when it comes to filing a complaint. At the state level, complaints are handled through the Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office of Civil Rights Enforcement (OCRE).  
Complaints must be submitted within a year of the last discriminatory incident.
Ahead of filing a complaint, you can learn more information about the process here, and additional questions can be answered by calling 405-521-3921.
OCRE complaint forms, including the one for housing discrimination, can be found here (as well as an overview of the investigation process) and can be submitted to either OCRE office in Oklahoma or Tulsa.
You can also report applicable housing discrimination at the federal level to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) online or via phone, mail, or email. You can find contact information and an overview of the process on the HUD website.

State agency vs. local offices

You can submit a complaint related to Oklahoma state fair housing laws to either OCRE office:
CityAddressPhone numberEmail
Oklahoma City313 NE 21st St., Oklahoma City, OK 73105405-521-3921ocre.complaints@oag.ok.gov
Tulsa15 W. 6th St., Suite 1000, Tulsa, OK 74119918-581-2342ocre.complaints@oag.ok.gov
Compare insurance quotes from 50+ carriers with Jerry in under 45 seconds
rating primary
4.7/5 App Store Rating. Trusted by 2+ Million Customers.

How to save money on home and renters insurance in Oklahoma

Everyone deserves a safe, accessible place to live. Once you find the right place to call home, Jerry can help you protect that place and your belongings inside with the right home or renters insurance policy.
With the Jerry app, it takes less than a minute to start comparing customized quotes from some of the nation’s top insurance providers. Once you find the right level of coverage at the best available rate, Jerry’s end-to-end support can help you make the switch to your new policy and cancel your old one.
Jerry’s services don’t end there, though! For any questions you encounter along the way, our friendly, experienced agents are here to help. 
The best part? Jerry’s users save an average of $800+ per year on car insurance alone, and you could find additional savings when you bundle it with your home or renters insurance.
Jerry is an amazing service with amazingly helpful representatives. I went from paying $700 every 6 months to paying $333 every 6 months with Progressive!” —Nate M. 


To report a landlord for housing discrimination in Oklahoma, you can file a complaint with the Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office of Civil Rights Enforcement (OCRE) via its Tulsa or Oklahoma City offices.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free