Table of Contents
- Property tax 101
- What is the property tax rate in Wayne County?
- How to pay property taxes in Wayne County
- How to save money on homeowners and car insurance in Indiana
Load full table of contents
Indiana, has an average property tax rate of 0.95%. Based on average property values, property owners make an average payment of about $994 per year.
Paying property taxes might not be the most thrilling experience, but they play an important role in funding local public services that keep your community running.
Still, when property taxes can fluctuate so much from place to place and from year to year, understanding what you’re paying and why can be confusing.
Let Jerry find you the best homeowners insurance policy for your needs
* checking your rate won’t affect your credit score
* checking your rate won’t affect your credit score
Property tax 101
If property taxes are new to you, here’s what you should know about them:
- A local tax assessor will assign values to area properties based on market value and an established tax rate
- Property tax rates are established by taxing entities (like cities, counties, or school districts)
- Property taxes are collected and dispersed by local governments to support essential services and special projects
- What you owe each year tends to fluctuate depending on that year’s tax rate and market conditions
What is the property tax rate in Wayne County?
Wayne County’s average tax rate is 0.95% of a home’s assessed value, which is just slightly above Indiana’s state average of 0.85%. At this rate, property owners in Wayne County pay an average of $944 in property taxes annually.
How Wayne County property taxes are determined
How much you’ll pay for property taxes in Wayne County depends on the assessed value of your home and the tax rates of the various taxing districts you live in. Those districts include your county, township, and school district.
You can view Wayne County’s breakdown of tax rates by township
A local assessor will determine the value of your home and calculate what you’ll owe for property taxes based on market conditions and the established tax rate in your area.
You can estimate your Wayne County property taxes by using the calculator
What do Wayne County property taxes pay for?
Property taxes in Wayne County support a number of projects and services, including:
- Roads and highways
- Fire protection
- Law enforcement
- Public libraries
- K-12 schools
- Park and recreation
How to pay property taxes in Wayne County
In Indiana, property taxes are due in two installments each year: one on May 10 and one on November 10.
Here are the methods for paying your property taxes in Wayne County:
- Online: You can pay your Wayne County property taxesonlinevia e-check or credit/debit card. You will have to pay an extra transaction fee.
- By phone: To pay property taxes by phone, call (877)690-3729 and enter jurisdiction code 2412 when prompted for the Wayne County, Indiana, Treasurer’s Office. Only credit cards are accepted and a 2.5% fee applies.
- In person: You can drop off your property tax payment at the county treasurer’s office, which is located at 401 East Main in Richmond. You can also use the drop box that’s located in the county administration building parking lot.
- By mail: Tax payments can be mailed to the Wayne County treasurer at 401 East Main, Richmond, IN 47374.
- Through your bank: You can make your property tax payment at the following Wayne County banks: First Bank Richmond, Wayne Bank, and Merchants Bank. Fees will apply. You can find a list of locations on thecounty website.
- Through your mortgage: If you make property tax payments via your monthly mortgage payment, your lender should pay them on your behalf when they’re due. You can check with your lender and the county treasurer’s office to verify the account is set up properly.
How to save money on homeowners and car insurance in Indiana
Property taxes are just one of the many inevitable expenses you have as a homeowner. If you’re looking for more areas to save money, the
Jerryapp can help you find the best car and home insurance rates.
Getting started takes less than a minute, and all you have to do is download the app, answer a few quick questions, and then you can start comparing quotes from top insurance providers.
If you’ve found the right policy for you at the right rate, Jerry’s end-to-end support can even help you set up your new policy and cancel your old one.
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍
When are property taxes due in Wayne County?
Wayne County Property taxes are due each year on May 10 and November 10.
How do I get my Indiana property tax statement?
Property tax bills are mailed each spring in Indiana, ahead of the first due date. However, if you haven’t received one, you’ll still be considered responsible for paying the bill.
Are property taxes high in Wayne County?
Property owners in Wayne County make an average property tax payment of $994 per year. The county’s average property tax rate is 0.95%, just slightly higher than Indiana’s state average of 0.85%.