Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
- What does the engine code P0014 mean?
- What can cause the P0014 engine code?
- Common symptoms of the P0014 engine code
- How serious is the P0014 engine code?
- Can I fix the P0014 engine code myself?
- Finding car insurance
Load full table of contents
If your car is showing the P0014 engine code, it may be due to your car’s timing in the exhaust valve being over advanced. It’s essential to get this code checked right away as it can cause further damage if ignored.
When it’s having engine issues, your car communicates with you through diagnostic engine codes (DTC). If you own an OBD-II reader, you’ll be able to see what these codes mean. And if you don’t, any reputable mechanic will be able to inspect your car and diagnose the problem.
Jerry, the car insurance comparison and broker app, has compiled all the information you’ll need to know about the engine code P0014, from what it means to how to fix it.
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
Let Jerry find your price in only 45 seconds
No spam · No long forms · No fees
What does the engine code P0014 mean?
Definition: Your car’s exhaust camshaft position B variable valve timing is over advanced, which can reflect issues with your car’s engine control module (ECM)
The P0014 engine code indicates trouble with the timing of the engine’s variable valves, an essential factor that can affect your car’s fuel efficiency, among other things.
How much will it cost to fix?
While it depends on your local mechanic and their rates, it can cost anywhere between $75 and $150 per hour of labor to fix engine code P0014. The final cost will depend on what the mechanic needs to fix. Possibilities include:
- Resetting fault codes and performing a road test
- Changing the oil and filter
- Replacing wiring to the camshaft oil control valve
- Replacing the camshaft oil control valve itself
What can cause the P0014 engine code?
If your car is showing a P0014 engine code, chances are your car’s exhaust camshaft variable valve timing is off. Other factors which can cause the engine code include:
- Low engine oil
- Dirty oil
- Faulty exhaust camshaft position solenoid actuator
- Poor electrical connection of the exhaust camshaft solenoid actuator
Sometimes, it could be due to a faulty ECM that is incorrectly showing the code. Though most times, it’s an issue with the car’s exhaust timing.
Common symptoms of the P0014 engine code
Chances are, you may not see any other symptoms aside from the engine service light being on. But other signs of a P0014 engine code error include:
- Reduced fuel mileage
- Engine running rough or stalling
- Failed emissions test due to engine emissions
How serious is the P0014 engine code?
As soon as you notice the P0014 engine code, it’s essential to get it checked right away. Failure to fix the issue could result in your car’s pistons hitting your car’s valves, costing you more in the long run.
Once you notice an issue, avoid driving your vehicle to prevent any damage to your vehicle’s exhaust pipes.
Can I fix the P0014 engine code myself?
It’s best to leave this kind of repair to a mechanic. That said, you can look for damage that may indicate signs of trouble with your car’s timing. Keep an eye out for damaged components, such as the connector pins.
Here’s what your mechanic will do to diagnose a P0014 engine code:
- Visually inspect the connector, wiring, or valve for problems with the OCV for the bank 1 exhaust camshaft
- Check the engine oil level and condition
- Clear codes and run the engine to see if the P0014 code still shows up
- Monitors timing data while disconnecting the OCV to the exhaust camshaft
- Performs pinpoint tests for the P0014 engine code and repairs as needed
Finding car insurance
While car maintenance can be taxing, finding low car insurance rates doesn’t have to be.
Jerry is the super app that helps you save time and money on your car expenses, including insurance. Jerry compiles the best deals from more than 50 insurers—and once you find one you like, Jerry handles all the paperwork to finalize your new policy.
The average Jerry user saves $887 per year on car insurance!
“I can’t thank the Jerry app enough! They saved me $160 a month, and I didn’t even have to talk over the phone. They took care of everything through text.” —Travis Y.
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever