How do I file a claim with another driver's insurance company?

"A car damaged my vehicle and I got their information. How do I file a claim?"

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“You typically wouldn’t file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Normally, you would inform your car insurance that another driver has damaged your vehicle.
From there, you’d pass along the other driver’s information and your insurance company would reach out to them. As you often exchange information with the other driver, they’ll also pass along your insurance information to their company.
If you have collision insurance, you could submit a claim with your insurance and pay your deductible to have your vehicle fixed. Once the other driver’s insurance accepts liability, your insurance would attempt to recover your deductible and the cost of damages.
If you don’t have full coverage, you’ll need to wait until an adjuster reviews the damage and liability is determined. Once the other driver’s insurance agrees to cover the damage, your vehicle can be repaired.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.